The Pine Bush High School Art Department is presenting Empty Bowls on Tuesday, March 19, in the high school cafeteria, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Enjoy a simple meal of soup and bread and take home a handmade bowl as a reminder of those in the community who are hungry.
This is the 12th year Pine Bush High School is participating in Empty Bowls, which was the idea of a Michigan art teacher and her students back in 1990 who were looking for a creative way to raise money for a local food drive.
Now, Empty Bowls is an international project to fight hunger. The basic idea for Empty Bowls is simple: students create ceramic bowls and then serve a meal of soup and bread. Guests choose a bowl to take home as a reminder that there are always empty bowls in the community and throughout the world.
This is a collaborative effort. The food is all made and donated by local restaurants, Pine Bush High School staff, Family and Consumer Science Program students and Art Department students. The meal is served by student volunteers.
The Pine Bush District Art Show will be on display in the cafeteria throughout the evening.
The main objectives of Empty Bowls are:
- Raise money to feed the world’s hungry people.
- Increase awareness of hunger and related issues – Through education, awareness, and action, concerned individuals can bring about an attitude that will not allow hunger to exist.
- Advocate for art education – Nurturing the creative process through the arts enhances the possibility of finding new solutions to old problems.
How can you help?
Buy a ticket and share a meal with people in the community. Spread the word about the event to family and friends. If you can’t make the event but would like to contribute, send donations to Diane Trad at Pine Bush High School, 156 Route 302, Pine Bush, NY 12566.
Tickets are sold at the door and are $10; the event tends to sell out early. Proceeds from the event benefit the Pine Bush Food Pantry. Student-made gifts will also be sold and will benefit Art Department scholarships.
- Empty Bowls at Pine Bush High School
- Tuesday, March 19, 2019
- 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- $10 donation
- Choose a handmade bowl to keep
- Enjoy a dinner of soup and bread