Let’s start with the GOOD NEWS!
Junior prom rescheduled
Mrs. Brae, the Pine Bush High School junior class advisor, was able to reschedule the junior prom for Friday, May 22, 2020. If students return to school, tickets will be available during the week of May 4-8 at $55 per ticket or during the week of May 11-15 at $60 per ticket.
Spring sports season on hold until May 1
The Section IX Athletic Council met last week and has taken the following action regarding the coronavirus impact on the spring sports season:
- Section IX is closed to all scrimmages and games until May 1, 2020. Once the government allows school districts to reopen, they will be able to consider when and under what circumstances they will restart their programs and begin practicing.
- The Section IX Athletic Council also realizes this is a very fluid situation that changes constantly. The May 1 deadline was based on schools being able to open after a four-week closure. The council will meet as needed and make additional decisions based on the current information at that time. The council will begin to meet and plan how to manage the spring season if it opens on May 1. Executive directors across the state are also meeting regularly with NYSPHSAA to try and manage this situation.
NYS Education Department has cancelled annual testing
The NYS Education Department has cancelled the following annual testing:
- New York State Grades 3-8 English Language Arts Test;
- New York State Grades 3-8 Mathematics Test;
- New York State Grade 4 Elementary-Level Science Test;
- New York State Grade 8 Intermediate-Level Science Test;
- New York State English as a Second Language Achievement Test (NYSESLAT) in Grades K-12; and
- New York State Alternate Assessment (NYSAA) for students with severe cognitive disabilities in Grades 3-8 and high school.
The state has not yet issued any guidance on end-of-June Regents exams.
College Board to administer testing online
On Friday, the College Board posted how it will be administering AP exams in light of this international crisis.
Read the College Board’s response here. The highlights of the response are:
- There will NOT be any face-to-face AP exams this year
- Students will take AP exams at home
- Exams will be 45 minutes
- Exams will NOT contain multiple-choice questions
- Exams will be administered online
- Students will be able to take the exam on one of two separate dates to be announced by College Board on April 3, 2020
- Exams will be assessing a reduced scope of content, content that would “typically” have been covered before March
- Students will have the option of canceling their exam(s), and College Board will waive the $40/exam late fee they would have charged the school.
As for instruction, your teachers are aware of the new changes and will be adapting their instruction to meet the new expectations. Further information regarding the resources and updates will be posted as they are provided by the College Board.
Kindergarten screenings are postponed until summer
All Pine Bush Central School District kindergarten screenings have been postponed. Screenings will be rescheduled for this summer. Stay tuned to the website for dates, times and appointments for all four buildings.
Middle school trips to DC are postponed
Both middle school trips to Washington DC have been postponed until fall. The tour companies were not offering refunds to our families, so we arranged dates for the current 8th graders to go next fall when they are in 9th grade.
- New dates for CVMS are Oct. 14-16.
- New dates for Crispell are Oct 21-23.
Principals will be sending letters home with additional details.
Elementary report cards on hold
Second trimester report cards for our elementary students are on hold.
- Report cards cannot be mailed home at this time because they are in the buildings. The buildings have been sanitized and we do not want to re-contaminate them.
- Teachers do not have access to them so they cannot conduct phone conferences at this time.
- They will be sent home with students when schools are re-opened and phone conferences will be held at that time.
We want your pictures for yearbooks!
Due to the school closing, the yearbook advisors are requesting photos that will document the COVID-19 pandemic. Please send photos of memories you are making at home with family and friends during the quarantine. They should be emailed to:
- PBHS: email@example.com
- CVMS: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Crispell MS: email@example.com
- EJR: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PAK: email@example.com
- PBE: firstname.lastname@example.org
CES will be added when we get the appropriate email address