Want to do something that’s a real treat this Halloween? Donate blood!
Pine Bush High School is hosting a blood drive Thursday, Oct. 31, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the PBHS new gym. This drive is open to all students ages 16 and older, staff members and members of the public.
All students must have a signed permission form from their parent/guardian submitted to the Health Office. Students will even get some swag for donating – Vitalant, the company that is running the drive, will give a free T-shirt to all students who donate. Plus of course the great snacks afterward.
Here are the requirements to be eligible to donate blood. You must:
- Be at least 16 years old (16- and 17-year-olds must bring a signed permission form from a parent or guardian, if required by state or school).
- Weigh at least 110 pounds.
- Be in good general health. If you have a cold, take care of yourself and donate next time.
- Eat within two hours ahead of your donation. Drink plenty of water that day and 24 to 48 hours beforehand. Feel free to help yourself to something to eat and drink in our refreshment area.
- Bring your ID—something with your name and one of the following: date of birth, donor ID number or your photo.
- Wait eight weeks between whole blood donations.
- Not be under the influence of alcohol or recreational drugs at the time of donation.
Members of the public who wish to donate should register at www.vitalant.com. Click on Donate to register. Or call the Pine Bush High School Health Office at 845-744-2031, ext.