Below you will find a list of books to choose from as you embark on your summer reading project.
- You are to pick one of the units and read two of the books listed in that unit. Upon your return to school you will be asked to write an evidence based claim essay based on the text that you selected.
- The choices below complement the texts we will be reading this year in class.
- You will receive the writing assignment when you return to school and will write the essay in class
- You must take notes as you read the book so that when you are asked to write the essay, you will be able to find evidence for your paper.
- If you purchase the book, feel free to use the annotation skills you gained in 7th grade to assist you.
Finding Home: Refugees Unit:
- The Turtle of Oman by Naomi Shihab Nye
- Shooting Kabul by N.H. Senzai
- Bamboo People by Mitali Perkins
World War Two:
- Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz ( Ruth Gruener, Jack Gruener)
- Once by Morris Gleitzman
- The Berlin Boxing Club by Robert Sharenow
- The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
- Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson
Suggestions for note taking:
The following literary elements will be a focus in your summer reading assignment. Be sure to underline, highlight, and annotate for evidence that relates to the following literary elements.
Characterization, Conflict, Setting, and Theme